Saturday, May 21, 2011

Portobello Road, Portobello Road

First off...I can't believe I forgot to put this photo in the previous post...(Oh wait, yes I can...there were so many I did put in!) This was at the Tate Modern, and yes, ladies and gentlemen that are art buffs...this is Monet's Water Lilies painting!

(PHOTO TAKEN BY MISHA)
WATER LILIES


After all the walking that we did on Friday, I'm pretty sure we all slept quite soundly! Saturday started off with heading out to King's Cross Station and meeting Misha's friend, Heather. And yes, folks, that means I got to go and see....

PLATFORM 9 3/4 AT KING'S CROSS STATION, LONDON

As you've no doubt noticed from the reflection on the wall, this was a panel with the printing of a stone wall, as it was laid over the white that was covering the actual pillar (and it was between platforms 8 and 9, not 9 and 10! FAIL!) due to some construction or restoration or something.  But that didn't stop me from having fun!!! (Note: The Striped hats worn in the following pictures were hand made by me, and for the sole purpose of having Ravenclaw hats at Platform 9 3/4! Because that's how nerdy I am. ;) )

(PHOTO TAKEN BY MISHA OAKES)
ME HAVING FUN AT KING'S CROSS, PLATFORM 9 3/4

(PHOTO TAKEN BY MISHA)
KRISTIN AT PLATFORM 9 3/4 

(PHOTO TAKEN BY MISHA)
ME GETTING CAUGHT GOING THROUGH THE BARRIER TO PLATFORM 9 3/4

 (L TO R) ME, KRISTIN AND MISHA AT PLATFORM 9 3/4

I think we spent something like an hour (at the least!) there, goofing around and taking pictures. It was actually a fairly popular spot! We'd do a couple of poses, let other people in to do their thing, take some more pictures, step back and give someone else a turn...I had a blast, and I'm sure that Misha got a lot of amusement in seeing Kristin and myself behave like little kids (and take photographic evidence of such behavior)! 

After we met up with Heather (which was delayed by about 30 minutes, since the train she usually takes to King's Cross wasn't operating, so she had to take a bus to a different train station to take a different line...you get the idea. lol), we went back on the Underground and headed over to none other than the market at Portobello Road!

 RANDOM WALL MURAL THAT CAUGHT MY EYE ON OUR WALK TO PORTOBELLO ROAD


 PORTOBELLO ROAD STREET SIGN


Misha and Kristin were both, I think, on the same mission of finding the perfect hat (they both found fascinators, each to their own liking), and I browsed the hats, but as none of them jumped out at me and screamed "I'M THE ONE YOU WANT! BUY ME!" I settled with getting this gorgeous watch on a chain to be worn around my neck. (And the length of the chain is perfect!)

MY PORTOBELLO ROAD STREET MARKET FIND
We weren't able to go the whole length of the road, as we had to turn back and get ready for Wicked, but what we did see (which was cram-packed with people!), we found no bookstores or yarn/wool shops. There were a lot of vintage, accessory and dish shops, though! Sadly, the teapots were out of my price range (which was disappointing, as I really wanted a genuine British tea set), but in one of the accessory shops, I got some ideas for my own etsy store! And then, it was time for the entire purpose of our trip.....

TO BE CONTINUED....

No comments: